Thursday, 5 March 2015

Prayer

I am only human and easily confused.
Sometimes I’m uncertain, at others I’m bemused!
I am truly grateful for all God’s gifts most rare
So saying prayers to thank Him would seem only fair.
Prayers of praise would also seem to fit the bill
For His mighty works and deeds give me such a thrill!

I know God is all knowing and sees our every need.
And will never pander to our avarice and greed.
He’ll only give the things we ask if they are in His plan
But then they are within His will and don’t depend on man!
So why should we petition when we have got no say? 
If God thinks it’s warranted He’ll do it anyway!

Does He count petitions then when He has enough
He feels it is the time for Him to really do His stuff!
Of course that must be nonsense but why do we imply
That the more of us that pray God might well comply?
When our friends need healing we will say a prayer
Is this to jog God’s memory or to show our friends we care?

When we pray for some things the answer may be yes
But which may get that answer we can only guess!
Of course when we are closer to our God above
We’ll know what to pray for surrounded by His love,
Then no doubt He’ll answer yes to all our prayers
For we will pray for all the things for which we know He cares

Perhaps that is the answer. The meaning of it all.
We are meant to listen so we hear God’s call.
If instead of spouting forth we left a little space
We might get the meaning of God’s wisdom and His grace.
Perhaps then we like Samuel might hear our Master’s voice
Pray to have instruction so we can know His choice.

Of course the mystery of prayer is really not a joke
But I find it rather easier to pray for other folk.
Praying for myself is something I find hard to do
For I know without request God’s blessings have come through.
I wish I had the wisdom to understand God’s ways
But even so I’ll pray to Him throughout all my days

I’m sure I’m not the only one who ponders on these things
And I’ll only know them when I’ve sprouted wings.
I’m as thrilled as anyone when God has answered prayer
And I’ll join with many others in making folks aware
Of the giving nature of our God above
Who pours on us the bounty of His great and gracious love 


   

No comments:

Post a Comment