Sunday, 8 March 2015

Listening

Listening is not a skill that I do very well!
My attention wanders as anyone can tell.
Even now my hearing is as good as it should be
Yet somehow random thoughts may take a hold of me!
If you are talking to me and suddenly I’ve gone
It is just a fault in me – it’s not you rambling on!
When I’m concentrating on some thing I want to do
There is no mechanism for your words to batter through!
I admit that it is talking for which I’m better known
And sometimes when I’ve started I can hear you groan!
It’s the same with praying! God hardly gets a chance
To get a word in edgeways as my gabbling thoughts advance!
Yet I know He speaks to me. I’ve heard Him once or twice
Giving me His word of peace or very sound advice.
If I could just be quiet I’m sure I’d hear Him more
And if I listened to Him I’d make light of any chore!

No comments:

Post a Comment