Wednesday, 1 March 2017

My Daddy

You should know my father died when I was only five.
Would things have been different if he’d been alive?
All my memories of him were during times of play
Though he was ill so often he had to stay away.
I remember sitting on his lap in our cosy house
While he used his handkerchief to make a little mouse.
He made it move along his arm and caught it in his hand 
While I looked on in wonder trying to understand.
This process was repeated while I sat enthralled
And I can still giggle as the moments are recalled!
My mother was determined her children should not lack
So she took the burden, quite enough to break a back!
We were not to suffer because we had no dad
So my mother gave us everything she had.
I may have had no father’s love but I can safely say
That love was shown in our house each and every day.
I thank God for the love I had when I was just a child
And for the mother’s discipline to stop me running wild.
I have known a father’s love throughout all my life
For God’s love surrounds me through every sort of strife.
He sent His Son among us so he could take our blame
For we are all God’s children and “daddy” is his name!

No comments:

Post a Comment