Saturday, 11 March 2017

Biscuits

Sitting down each Saturday to greet Dream Factory guests
Most children come to see me with diffident requests.
“Could I have a biscuit please”, politely they will say
And of course I’m happy to let them have their way.
Then there are some children who are too shy to ask
So I make an invitation. I see it as my task!
There are some of the children who will not have a biccy
Perhaps they’re not allowed such snacks or maybe they are picky!
It could be that they have been taught that they should be wary
For old men, who offer biscuits, can be very, very scary!
I can persuade some parents to have a coffee while they wait
For the door to open but some stay by the gate!
Me, and my mate, will greet them all in any sort of weather 
When the sun is shining or the rain falls hell for leather!
There are some irritations while we sit there at the door.
Kids who don’t know better will grab biscuits by the score!
They’ve never heard of “please” and they do not ask permission
And their parents do not check them or point out this omission!
Other parents watch in horror, shake their heads and frown
While these children take no notice and gulp the biscuits down.
Of course they don’t say “thank you”, but what would you expect
With parents busy on their phones and children they neglect! 
I remember my young days, when manners we were taught
And you would be in trouble if not doing what you ought!
I suppose that I am getting old and modern ways seem slack
But I can’t help wishing that we had good manners back!

No comments:

Post a Comment