Wednesday, 2 April 2014

So You Think You’re Useless!

I remember feeling miserable when I had no job
I was doing nothing and felt just like a slob!
I went to church one evening to have a little moan
I was really sulky and yearned to be alone!
I picked a lonely corner so nobody could see
I felt just as useless as any man could be!
I did not want companionship. I didn’t want a chat.
I thought that sitting in that spot would accomplish that!
I’m sitting moaning to the Lord – I can’t say that I prayed
More like just a sulky ass, I sat and scowled and brayed!
I had hardly started when some friends had sought me out
They sat in my secluded place, which made me want to shout.
They started talking to me and I had to reply
Though I’m angry at my Lord and have to ask Him, “Why?”
I didn’t get an answer but in our empty church
I felt He had ignored my needs and left me in the lurch!
No sooner had I thought this than I very quickly spied
Another friend, a lady, was now at my other side.
By now I’m spitting feathers. Did God not understand?
I wanted to think private thoughts. That’s all that I had planned!
We went up for communion and the lady started sighing
And by the time we took our seats she was really crying!
She was feeling lousy for her husband worked away
And as she hated parting, she’d nagged at him all day!
Of course I listened to her tale and let her have her cry
And with a bit of joking had her laughing by and by.
I heard a laugh within my brain and a quiet voice came through
“I know you said you’re useless, but look what you can do!”
I had to hold my hands up and admit that He knew best
And why He hadn’t listened to my earlier request!
God’s got a sense of humour as anyone can see
I know that if He hadn’t, He wouldn’t have made me!

No comments:

Post a Comment