A Welcome Noise
I visited another church just the other day
The set up of it’s fittings was in the ancient way.
The wooden pews were awful, like sitting in the stocks
It must have been the same way when villagers wore smocks!
The music was frenetic and the sound was pretty poor
Yet there were lots of people streaming in the door.
The preacher fought a battle against a fading voice
But it was clear the people all were there from choice.
Throughout all the service there was a buzz of noise
From loads of energetic, and excited, girls and boys.
This to me was just the sound I’d always like to hear
It filled my soul with joy and made me want to cheer.
A church that has made welcome the coming generation
Can be the leaders of crusades to energise our nation.!
I contrast this happy sound with the silence and the fear
Engendered in the children like me from yesteryear!
We sat like squirming martyrs on our best behaviour
For fear of retribution while we learned about our Saviour.
Any sign of laughter or whispered conversation.
Was greeted by our parents with righteous indignation.
The miscreants would know that they were deep in trouble
And retribution would arrive to burst the thickest bubble!
I don’t care for the style of church or even how they pray
I just thank my Lord above they don’t drive kids away!
For a church that welcomes children just as Jesus did
Just shows an example of doing as we’re bid!
No comments:
Post a Comment