Saturday, 8 March 2014

My Friend

I am not religious, I just believe in God
And what some folk get up to, I think rather odd.
I listen to the preaching but keep an open mind
I look to God for guidance not to humankind.
Sure my simple faith is based on things that I’ve been taught
And as a general rule I try to do the things I ought,
But God gave me an intellect to sort my thinking out
And I pray to Him for guidance where there is any doubt.
He gave me a conscience to show me wrong from right
And with my selfish nature I always have to fight.
The rites of common worship give structure as a whole
But my love and thanks to God lives within my soul.
When I have my troubles or sometimes lose my way
I know that I’ll find guidance if I pause to pray.
Do I always listen? I wish I could say, “yes”,
But I have my ego as anyone could guess!
I like to have my own way and think that I know best
And any word of wisdom is looked on as a pest.
However, when I’m sorry, God greets me with a smile
And I might be more sensible, for a little while!
My Saviour loves to be my friend no matter what I do
And I’m very certain he feels the same for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment