Sunday, 30 March 2014

Listening

When I was very troubled several years ago.
What to do? I found that I didn’t really know.
I went upon a sailing trip aboard the Morning Star
As it happened we were doomed to not sail very far!
We ended on a sandbar in the Medway estuary
As the tide was turning, heading out to sea.
Several things were tried to get the boat to move
But we found that it was stuck, firmly in its groove!
So we were on the sandbar until the tide should rise
That this was several hours away was no real surprise.
There were lots of mutterings among the gallant crew
Sitting on a sandbar they did not come to do!
The weather was quite glorious. The sun was shining bright
And there was nothing we could do till later on that night!
I was quite unusual, relaxing, feeling good
Sitting on an upturned boat in a mellow mood.
We didn’t have to rush about we were quite safe, though still.
This just didn’t seem to me a very bitter pill.
I thought that all we had to do was just relax and wait
That didn’t seem to me to be a very daunting fate.
Then I heard within my head a still small voice of calm
And to my soul it seemed to be a most effective balm.
“That’s what I’ve tried to tell you for many, many years
Though you could not hear me as you listened to your fears.”
Now you know for certain what your plan should be –
Just relax and follow what you hear from me!”
My jaw dropped and I realised that what I had just heard
Could only come from God above though this might seem absurd.
Ant then I recognised the truth of what He had to say
I didn’t have to worry just trust Him every day.
All my plans fell into place I knew that I’d survive
My ever-loving Saviour would see that I would thrive.
 Of course I am not perfect and forget from time to time
To leave the choices up to Him, my counsellor sublime!
I do not always listen for that voice within my head
When sudden fears assail me while lying in my bed!
But doing things my own way just leads to misery
Then I remember sailing and His voice comes back to me.
Lord grant me the wisdom to listen for Your voice
For listening, in just that way, should be my only choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment