Wednesday, 3 February 2016

Nihil Desperandum

In fear and trepidation I entered in that room
Sure the only thing I’d hear would fill me full of gloom.
Everything I hoped for seemed far too far away
For the strength to cope with it was all I tried to pray.
If I dared to hope too much the worst would be a blow
And how I’d then accept it I really didn’t know.
I was planning for the worst, to make the best of things
Trying to be positive, ignoring painful stings.
Of course I prayed, and others did, that all would turn out well
But still the doubts were in my mind like some warning bell.
The consultant questioned Sue and I and studied all my case
And as he looked me over my heart began to race.
This was where he’d tell me that a seizure had occurred
And that from any driving I should be deterred.
Instead he looked me in the eye. “Don’t be alarmed”, he said,
“This was not a seizure but an odd event, instead.
A sudden loss of memory is disturbing, it is true,
But it is not unusual to forget some things you do!
If you find confusion is becoming more frequent
A memory clinic may just be the place you should be sent.
I can see no reason why you’re unsafe to drive
Go and enjoy your holiday. I’m sure that you will thrive.”
A massive lump was in my throat and tears were in my eyes
I was overwhelmed by this wonderful surprise!
All the things I’d dreaded had vanished in the air
And my heart was filled with hope instead of with despair.
I know my God is good to me and holds me in His arms
So I can only sing in praise and thank Him for His charms.

No comments:

Post a Comment