In The Bleak Midwinter?
Yuletide was a time of year the
pagans felt of worth.
That’s why we chose a winter date
for our saviour’s birth!
That way we could convince them
without any doubt
As Christians they could
celebrate and would not lose out!
Then because all Europe was
wintry in December
They conjured up this image that
we all remember
So we have this fabled picture of
a journey in the snow
It’s seldom seen in Palestine
where the oranges grow!
The nights just might get chilly
but nowhere near that cold
And by the way, in Bethlehem,
Christmas trees weren’t sold!
Travelling on dusty tracks when
pregnant, poor and tired
Is quite enough to make me feel
unworthy, but inspired.
It does not really matter that
the seasons are all wrong
In our favourite carols, when we
all sing along,
I love the songs of Christmas for
the spell that they can weave
But they are not the reasons that
cause me to believe.
I’ve read the bible stories and
they’re true, at least in part,
But I feel the presence of my Saviour
in my heart!
It is not a matter of knowledge,
proof or creed
But I know in my spirit that
Christ is Lord indeed!
No comments:
Post a Comment