Thursday, 4 December 2014


At a Loss for Words

My flabber has been ghasted! I’m at a loss for words!
I feel like I’m a gibbering wreck, my brain has turned to curds!
Since Mary told her news to me I’ve not known what to do.
I’ve lain awake through every night in a perfect stew!
If she stayed at her cousin’s until the child is born
The neighbours might not realise why I am so forlorn.
We could have had an argument, decided not to wed
They need not know the reason why I won’t take her to bed.
Then I could just dump her and not make any fuss
Even though I’m feeling that I’m a perfect wuss!
I’d just reached this conclusion after many weary hours
When I had a visit that left me seeing stars!
An angel stood in front of me, shining like the sun.
Blinded by his brilliance, I wished that I could run!
He told me Mary spoke the truth and that she had conceived
The holiest of holy babes and she should be believed!
I was too stunned to argue. I didn’t dare to speak!
I was more quiet than a mouse. I couldn’t even squeak!
He said I’d be the envy of men for evermore
For giving my protection to the infant Mary bore!
He said the child would come to be the saviour of the world
And be revered for ever as God’s wondrous plan unfurled.
In a flash he disappeared and I’m lying on my side
Asking God’s forgiveness for my doubting and my pride!
I must go to Mary and surround her with my love
Until she has delivered this gift from Heaven above!
Thank you God for choosing me, to do the best I can,
To offer my protection till your Christ becomes a man!

No comments:

Post a Comment