Roof Timbers
I attend St. Mary’s and have for many years
And throughout the centuries it’s known joy and tears
The happiness at weddings the sadness of farewell
The babies who have been baptised whose future none can
tell.
I’ve shared in people’s pleasure and in their sorrow too
And through it all, my Father, I’ve always honoured you.
Sometimes, in a service, I confess my mind will stray
In a lengthy sermon or even while we pray!
But in those careless moments my eyes will wander round
And see the beauty of this church, which stands on Holy
ground.
I see the mighty pillars that reach up to the sky
And those arches, so uneven, that they make me wonder why?
Then I see the roof supports all patterned red and white
And then up to the roof beams, a truly wondrous sight!
The beams are brown and wooden and even as can be
And thanks to some good carpenter, a true delight to see.
They make me think of Nazareth and a worker there in wood
And so I’m drawn back to You, in calm and peaceful mood.
Those wonderful roof timbers, which make a glorious whole
Truly lift my spirits, and gratify my soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment