Thursday, 3 October 2013

Faith

Someone posed a question just the other day
Perhaps because I’m getting old and just a trifle grey!
Was there any reason to believe there is a God
Or were my protestations of faith, because I’m odd?
I wondered how to answer. Why did I believe?
Was it from bible study, the things that I perceive?
The bible surely tells a tale of God throughout the years.
The trials of His people, with all their joys and tears.
A growing understanding, which culminates in love
For all of God’s creations from their Lord above.
Sure within the Gospels the evidence is clear
There was a man called Jesus who lived among us here.
Of course that doesn’t prove to me that he was God’s son
Though miracles were witnessed, each and every one.
The records of Josephus provide some confirmation
But they do not really show His followers elation.
They swore their Master had come back after He had died
But who’s to say that they were right and perhaps they lied!
If they knew it wasn’t true would they have been so bold?
Facing the Sanhedrin would have made their blood run cold!
The Spirit Jesus promised was with them all the way
And within my consciousness is still with me today!
My belief does not depend on documented facts
Nor faith require its evidence, in the Book of Acts.
I feel that faith within me as I pray and God assures
And prods me with a conscience when some sin allures!
I know within my being that my maker cares for me
And this is the only proof I ever need to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment