Saturday, 27 July 2013

Church Cove, Gunwalloe

I’ve seen a lot of beauty as I’ve travelled round the world
Coasts and lakes and mountains with majesty unfurled.
I’ve seen the Rocky Mountains from the Rocky Mountaineer
Going up forever and the air so crisp and clear.
I’ve canoed on the Bow River with its water, brilliant blue
And hiked among the Sperrins and the Mourne Mountains too.
I’ve cruised along the Fjiords where the water’s smooth as glass
And travelled on the prairies where there’s nought to see but grass.
I’ve been to Interlaken and walked to Wilderswil
Where Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger stand so majestic still.
I’ve seen the sights of ancient Greece while cruising round the Med
And geysers up in Iceland shooting way above my head.
I’ve loved the lake of Achensee in the Tyrolean heights
And the sultry stillness of some Carribean nights.
Through the canal of Suez with mile on mile of sand
Or way up north in Cumbria, with its lakes so grand.
I’ve seen the souk in Aden and the squalor in Bombay
The temples in Sri Lanka and glaciers cold and grey.
The breakers on the Vendee coast, the cliffs in Brittany.
In Chelsea, close to Melbourne, lightning storms across the sea.
Niagra’s quite colossal falls, and Vermont’s autumn glow
And Vancouver’s Burchard Gardens where all flowers seem to grow
I’ve walked on Guernsey’s rose red rocks and seen the sights on Crete
And Venice in a gondola I felt was rather neat.
My mind is filled with memories of the places I have been
They fill my mind with pictures of the sights that I have seen.
But over all the others my soul is most at peace
In a little cove in Cornwall where my tensions can release.
By a village called Gunwalloe with a church beside the beach
And crumbling cliffs around the sand where breakers push to reach.
The sound of seagulls mewling and the crash of breaking surf
And the sight of golfers playing on some luscious seaside turf.
I sit and sigh contentedly beneath the churchyard wall
And as for any worries, I can forget them all.
Of all the sights around the world I’ve been privileged to see
Church Cove, in Gunwalloe is the only place for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment