Wednesday, 15 July 2020

Poetry

I was brought up on poetry at my mother’s knee 
When I was small she spent her time quoting it to me.
She had a love of poetry deep within her heart
And I was so lucky that that love she did impart.
She would quote from Wordsworth, Kipling and the rest
But it was Lord Tennyson that she loved the best.
I heard about the Light Brigade, the Lady of Shallot
But it was Morte d’Arthur that held the favourite spot.
I would sit contented, in rapture on the whole, 
My head was filled with poetry, a beauty in my soul.
This then was the legacy that my mother gave for free
A lifelong love of rhyme and verse that are a part of me.
I love writing verses, for which I thank the Fates,
But I have no pretensions to emulate the greats!

No comments:

Post a Comment