Closure of Fortwilliam Park Presbyterian church
I went to church in Belfast throughout all my youth
In Sunday school and bible class I was taught the truth.
The church was full and vibrant though solemn in it's way
Attendance was compulsory on every sabbath day!
Sitting in the front pew my behaviour was on show
The result of misdemeanours you wouldn't want to know!
With around eight hundred seats, pretty nearly full,
The worship and the teaching were good, as a rule.
The hall was underneath the church with kitchens and a stage
And as well as Sunday classes, plays and pageants were the rage.
Also used for indoor bowls and badminton as well
So it was multi-purpose as anyone could tell.
A lively church community, vibrant and alive
In our walk with Jesus we felt we could thrive.
Alas the population moved from around the church
Leaving that old building really in the lurch.
Instead of having hundreds coming through the door
Lately that has been reduced to forty souls, no more!
It was clear it had to close, and had been for some years,
But still the thought of closure filled my eyes with tears!
Last Sunday morning's service was the last that there will be
And I am slightly sorry I was not there to see.
Built in 1885, it served our Saviour well.
What will be it's future? Only time will tell.
I have got my memories of happy times inside
And I look on it with fondness and not a little pride.
No comments:
Post a Comment