Reflections on a Poppy
When I see the poppies pouring from the tower
I’d love to think them only a very lovely flower!
However, in the context of the sadness and the grief
I remember all the carnage of a war beyond belief.
We may not remember them, the men we never knew
But surely we’ll remember the conflict they went to!
The bloody awful tactics of the men who were in charge
It somehow makes you wonder were there lunatics at large?
The bravery and sacrifice of countless common folk
In hellish field conditions that were surely not a joke!
The families who waited for a telegram to come
The result of some proud General’s casualty sum!
The streets in every city where all the blinds were drawn
For the bands of brothers whose futures had all gone.
That was a generation whose like we’ll never know
Gone singing into battle, then fell like crimson snow!
Surely we’ll remember their glory and their pain
And would to God, there’ll never be a war like that again!
I will revere the poppy, I have done all my life,
And do my best to try to find an end to hellish strife.
No comments:
Post a Comment