When I was young and eager
I had no need to fear
I was full of confidence
Which grew from year to year
I met life’s every challenge
And felt no price too dear
I tilted at my windmills
And fell from time to time
But picked myself right up again
And then resumed the climb
For I was young and foolish
And failure was no crime
I progressed in my work life
Looking for promotion
When it didn’t happen
Hurt was my emotion
So I moved to other parts
An optimist’s locomotion
I married in the meantime
A girl who won my heart
And filled my life with rapture
Together or apart
She held my life together
My defender from the start
Our children were a joy to us
As we watched them grow
Would we could have taught them
Everything we know
None the less they have survived
And flourished even so
Now we’ve reached maturity
And live a life of leisure
And we have sufficient
To never long for treasure
We can look back upon our lives
With undiminished pleasure
I thank my God for everything
That I have done and seen
From all my murky doings
He has made me clean
And looking to the future
I’m eager and I’m keen
No comments:
Post a Comment