Monday, 29 August 2016

Altitude

I did something yesterday that I was scared about.
It filled my heart with terror and filled my mind with doubt.
I have flown commercially all around the world
Never being worried as the flights unfurled
But flying with one engine in a tiny little plane
I had just considered to be quite insane!
I refused trips in a seaplane looking out for whales
I wondered what would happen if the engine fails?
I didn't want to venture to explore Grand Canyon's sights
I wanted my feet planted cos I am scared of heights!
Imagine then my horror when offered a round trip
In a little airplane! My stomach did a flip!
I felt that I could not refuse. It was offered as a treat!
And I would be sitting in the co-pilot's seat!
I heard myself agreeing while my mind was shouting "no!"
As you might imagine I didn't want to go!
But for me the die was cast for I had given my word
To change my mind in cowardice I would find absurd!
In my life l've many times done things that I have feared 
But I got more nervous as the adventure neared!
Come the day I'm praying that I can find the will
For I know my Saviour will protect me still
He has seen me safely through all the trials of life
Through my mental torment and every sort of strife.
My pilot friend was working as I approached the plane
And his thorough checking surely eased my pain
I strapped the plane around me (that is how it feels)
And relaxed my body from my head down to my heels!
We taxied to the runway then sped upon our flight
And I was filled with wonder at every wondrous sight!
The bumps and jumps and tremors of the thermals in the air
Seemed like extra thrills to me as I sat watching there
I've felt exhilaration at many things before
But nothing quite as moving as to feel an airplane soar
Too soon we land at Duxford and look around the site
And I am looking forward to my homeward flight!
The same exhilaration as we sail up on high 
Waltzing back and forward across the lonely sky
The land is meant for mortals. The air just sets us free.
Altitude has got to be the place for you and me!
A thank you to my pilot for giving me the chance 
And to my Lord for leading me on this merry dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment