Friday, 10 July 2015

Clarkie

When I came to Manor Fields I wanted to play cricket
And came upon young Clarkie rolling out the wicket.
He looked up when he saw me and came to have a chat
He invited me to join the club. So I did, and that was that!
The first game that I played for them I was surprised but keen
For playing too was Clarkie, the greatest keeper that I’ve seen!
Those of you who knew me when I was in my prime
Know that getting used to me takes a little time!
I grant that I was never quick (though faster than today!)
But varied pace and line and length to make the batsman play.
I was going past the edge, having lots of fun
But blow me down for Clarkie is taking every one!
I’ve played with him at Bletchley for almost thirty years
And only running singles causes any fears!
Tony is the heart and soul of good old Bletchley Town
And you know for certain he’ll never let you down.
He’s been on the committee since Adam was a lad
Maybe even longer than Kevin or his dad!
Even though he’s Eighty I’m quite prepared to say
If anybody needs him he’s quite prepared to play.
Tony always tries to help anyone in trouble
All they have to do is ask and he’s there at the double.
He visited the prison for years and years on end
There for any prisoner who might really need a friend.
It was no great surprise to me when Tony was converted
Though when he shared his feelings I was disconcerted!
He said that knowing Jesus was really so much fun
That it was even better than to score a cricket ton!
It has been my privilege my honour and my pride
To play at Bletchley Cricket Club with Tony at my side! 
Ok, so now he’s eighty and he’s got replacement knees
But you can bet that he won’t be sitting at his ease.
If Polly isn’t careful you know what he will do,

Down at Manor Fields he’ll play a game with me and you!

No comments:

Post a Comment