Just William
Hello my name is William, I’m from the planet earth
And I’ve a lifetime’s mission to spread merriment and mirth.
Everywhere I’ve travelled they all remember me
For days so full of laughter and nights so full of glee.
All of those who met me I’m sure they will recall
A most infectious giggle and a smile for one and all!
I started courting Libby, worshipped from afar
For I was neither witty nor yet a sporting star.
I wasn’t much at dancing, I couldn’t play the flute
And I couldn’t catch her, she was so fleet of foot.
Yet she was just like putty. I’m so cute and small
With a most infectious giggle and a smile for one and all!
Of course I’m an evangelist and talk of this or that
And when I go out walking I wear a funny hat.
I’m learning to be serious as vicars ought to be
But then I just remember the gifts God gave to me.
When sermons become boring and they begin to pall
I’ve a most infectious giggle and a smile for one and all!
They sent me to West Bletchley for a carnival one day
With pads of drawing paper, I was meant to play.
I sat and drew for hours with a quick and agile pen
Friends were clucking round me like a broody mother hen.
I had no need of respite. I always heed the call
For a most infectious giggle and a smile for one and all!
When we pray on We’n’sdays, around the break of dawn
Other hardy prayers just hide a weary yawn.
We pray with great solemnity for all St Mary’s folk
But always I remember you have to have a joke.
With a steaming cup of coffee, in the kitchen, by the wall
I’ve a most infectious giggle and a smile for one and all!
I’m searching for some ‘Street Cred’ almost every day
It’s lucky I’ve got Libby to help me on my way.
She reminds me of appointments and keeps my socks in pairs.
She even has to tell me to go up or down the stairs.
As an asset to the kingdom I’m not a bit like Paul
I’ve a most infectious giggle and a smile for one and all!
I’ve been around the country and on the mission field
I’ve been to war torn countries and prayed that they’d be healed.
I’ve penned both poems and pictures of all the things I’ve seen
And shared their hope and horror everywhere I’ve been.
And filling all my lectures in every church or hall
There’s a most infectious giggle and a smile for one and all!
Now I’m off to pastures new, life surely won’t be dull.
It isn’t Hell or Halifax. I’ve just been called to Hull.
There’s plenty in the parish who do not know me yet.
There’s other folk in Bletchley who will not soon forget!
An unassuming minister, quite slim and not too tall
With a most infectious giggle and a smile for one and all!
No comments:
Post a Comment