Wednesday, 4 November 2020

British Birdlife


I am not a ‘twitcher’ so I do not know it all.
In fact on British birdlife my knowledge is quite small.
I do not climb up mountains to spy the eagles there.
I do not often go where only stalwarts dare!
I limit my excursions to woods and around lakes
So, if you will excuse me, I often make mistakes!
I’ve watched the slender heron unmoving till the kill
And their skill and patience give me such a thrill.
Kingfishers are beautiful in pictures that I view
But all I’ve ever seen of them is a flash of blue!
I’ve seen the red kites circling looking for their prey
And hawks that seem to hover almost half a day.
The only owl I ever saw was snoozing in a tree
And a robin in the hedgerow looks askance at me!
I love the graceful swans as they effortlessly glide
And I’ve seen an egret preen itself with pride
I can tell the difference ‘tween a moorhen and a coot
And I’ve watched the ducklings as after mum they scoot.
I’ve watched a grebe go diving and not come up for air
At least that is the feeling till he turns up over there!
I marvel at woodpeckers in their undulating flight
And listened to the pigeons cooing out of sight.
The swallows presage summer as they zoom across the sky
And the geese are honking as they go swimming by.
Yet species are in danger as their habitat is lost
And we call it progress and never count the cost!
We humans are so lucky to have nature so diverse
I wish I could protect it by writing stronger verse!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment