Advent Day 4
Homeless
I talk about the beauty of a night so cold and still
And of the frosty landscape that gives me such a thrill.
But what about the people who live upon our streets?
Not for them the duvet and the clean white cotton sheets!
Shivering throughout the night in doorway or on bench
With the people walking past complaining of the stench!
Some have mental illness and others without jobs
And politicians classing them as scroungers or as slobs.
What a caring lot we are who just walk quickly by
Saying as we pass them: “There, but for grace, go I”
Can nobody help them? Are we all so crass
That we see such misery and merely let it pass?
Night Shelter does it’s best for them with limited resource
Several Christian churches are in the line, of course.
But what of all the others? The council and the press?
They just blame the homeless for making such a mess!
I ask my God for mercy that I do not do much
And that for these poor creatures he shows his loving touch.
Remember when you’re eating your massive Christmas dinner
Those who live upon the streets forever getting thinner!
God make me show compassion and share your love around
Especially to those who sleep, in squalor, on the ground.
No comments:
Post a Comment